What is CAM in ELT ( Certificate in Advanced Methodology in English Language Teaching)?
The Certificate in Advanced Methodology (CAM) offers the high level of methodological input which:
- Many teachers seek for reasons of personal self-development
- Many teachers need as preparation for a Diploma level qualification such as the Cambridge DELTA.
- The input and work provided on the course will prove to be good preparation for higher level qualifications and BA programmes.
Who is it for?
- Qualified teachers with at least two year’s full-time experience.
- Experienced teachers wanting to expand their theoretical knowledge and skill base (e.g IHC, TKT, CELTA, ICELT-qualified).
- Teachers aiming for a Diploma level qualification such as the Cambridge DELTA or who want to prepare for BA programmes (e.g. Licenciatura en Enseñanza del Inglés)
- Teachers with C1 Level of English.
For more on Aims and Content please download this Course Information Sheet
CAM Structure & Assessment
The course is run by qualified tutors who have their DELTA or MA and are Cambridge ESOL Teacher Trainers already. Participants are assessed on a portfolio comprising of homework tasks and a final assignment, all of which is moderated by Cambridge University.
They are also expected to follow and contribute to the CAM course programme.
The following are the main means of assessment on the course:
- Externally moderated assessment (external in this context refers to the an appointed external moderator who has not contributed to course input and is not a member of the tutoring staff).
- A 1500-2000 word written reflection task to be submitted electronically to Cambridge who will ensure the work is moderated accurately.
- 15 Homework tasks are included in each of the sessions. The tutor should mark these, taking into account the context of the course and the aims and needs of the participants. All homework tasks should be completed by all participants to a standard judged satisfactory by the tutor
- At the end of the course the candidates should submit a portfolio (electronically) for moderation by Cambridge University.
For more on Aims and Content please download this Course Information Sheet
All CAM courses at ih Mexico are taught by experienced and talented teacher trainers. Our CAM trainers are highly qualified tutors who have experience in different teaching contexts and are CELTA, ICELT and Delta Tutors already. We have one Delta assessor in the pool of trainers, two CELTA Assessors, along with many other very experienced tutors who also work with the CENEVAL on a frequent basis.
Orlando Delgado Mata
Director of Teacher Training & Development
Orlando has taught EFL at all levels. Deeply committed to teacher development and training, he has taken a significant number of courses such as the Cambridge ICELT (In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching), the FCTBE (Further Certificate for Teachers of Business English), the CAM (International House Certificate in Advanced Methodology), and Delta. Since completing the IHCOLT certificate, he has been interested in e-learning and so he is also in charge of running the online tutoring department at ih Mexico and is an e-tutor on language courses on NetLanguages.com, where he teaches General English and IELTS Preparation. He ran IELTS preparation courses at International House Mexico from 2007 to 2009, being the main tutor on them and course developer. Apart from being a Cambridge ESOL Oral Examiner and TKT Practical Assessor, he is also a Cambridge ESOL TKT, CELTA, ICELT and Delta Module 2 Trainer. He works as both a Delta Local Tutor for ih London & the British Council and an Orientation Course Tutor on the Distance Delta programme. He also is an authorized ICELT moderator, and a CELTA & Delta Assessor, in charge of assessing CELTA courses and Delta Module Two Candidates in North, Central and South America. He also works as a freelance trainer for IH World Organisation at the Online Teacher Training Institute (OTTI), and he holds an MA TESOL (Teacher Education) from the University of Manchester. His main areas of interest are Teacher Education & Development, Online Training, and Psychology of Language Learning.
Ricardo Fajardo has been a teacher of English for about 16 years now and a teacher trainer for about 8 years, first in the Polytechnic system in Mexico City and now in International House Mexico City, where he is a Cambridge TKT and CELTA trainer. He teaches Business English at companies, and works with teachers in courses of Language Awareness, Skills, Methodology, and Phonology, among others. Besides, he is an IELTS examiner, as well as a Cambridge KET, PET, FCE and CAE oral examiner.
Dates and Fees
|Candidates with no previous ICELT qualification (non ICELT-qualified)||Candidates with previous ICELT qualification (ICELT-qualified)|
|Package 1 (17,500MXN)
|Package 2 (11,800MXN)
|Package 1 Premium (26,000MXN)
CAM (150hrs) + CENEVAL (60hrs) = 210hrs
|Package 2 Premium (17,500MXN)
CAM (100hrs) + CENEVAL (50hrs) = 150hrs
This tuition fee includes moderation by Cambridge English Language Assessment, in addition to the IHWO Assessment course moderation.
Full fees must be received by Ih Mexico two weeks prior to the starting date of the course and they are non refundable.
Refund policy typically breaks down as follows:
- If you cancel your course more than 30 days before Course Start Date, you will receive a full refund, minus non-refundable fees paid
- If you cancel your course between 30 and 15 days before Course Start Date, you will receive a 50% refund of the Course Fees paid, minus non-refundable fees
- If you cancel your course less than 15 days before Course Start Date, or on or after the Course Start Date, no refunds will be issued (except in the case of dissatisfaction with the quality of the course).
What is the course for?
It is a specialization course in methodology for teachers with more than 2-4 years of experience teaching and planning to take Delta.
Can I take the course if I have ICELT or CELTA?
Yes, you can. This is the perfect course for you! CAM is the new option for In-service English Language Teachers! As once COTE, ICELT and other in-service courses met the needs of In-service English Language Teachers, CAM now aims to meet the needs of such teachers! CAM, however, introduces more and new content that those programmes did not have the opportunity to explore to further depth. CAM in ELT will help teachers study topics such as Genre Analysis, Discourse Analysis, Language as Texts, Advanced Methodology, Contemporary Language Learning Theories, Educational Technologies and Action Research! If you are an ICELT-qualified teacher, CAM in ELT is a great choice to continue developing your practice and career whatever background you have! CAM in ELT courses will start in June 2019! Please do not hesitate to contact your regional office for further information. Ask your regional office about the premium options with preparation for BA courses (Licenciatura).
Should I take this course if I’m planning to take Delta?
Absolutely! The CAM course is commonly known as the “pre-Delta” course as much of what you will need for Delta Module 1 is part of the CAM course. Many of our previous candidates have moved on to take their Deltas (module 2) and have very successfully prepared for Module 1 too. An ideal path for somebody planning to take Delta would be to take the CAM course, then move on to either our Delta Module 1 online course, or our Blended Delta Module 1 and 2 course. Taking CAM would help you feel much more prepared for Delta.
Would this course be as demanding as ICELT or CELTA?
Yes, and no. The course is part-time, but as with any other course you will need to devote enough time to your online sessions and homework tasks. However, remember there is no officially assessed Teaching Practice, which is what normally adds the pressure on courses like ICELT and CELTA. On the CAM, we will encourage you to reflect on your teaching on a weekly basis and complete homework tasks but without the pressure of being formally assessed on lessons and being observed. The homework tasks are also less demanding than the usual academic papers you would have to write on an ICELT or CELTA course. Overall, the course focuses more on your development as a teacher through a structured set of tasks and sessions.
For more information fill out the following form