CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults)
By its acronym means: Cambridge Certificate in teaching English to adults.
CELTA is an English teaching course for speakers of other languages (TESOL). In the same way, it is the opportunity to live and work abroad. You will need an internationally recognized teaching qualification, and CELTA, highly appreciated throughout the world, gives you the skills you need and will facilitate the teaching task anywhere.
International House was one of the pioneers in the development of teacher training programs. The University of Cambridge trusts in the International House Mexico as a highly recommended school worldwide in the field of teacher training.
The CELTA certification is an initial qualification for people with little or no previous experience of teaching the English language. Because it is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, from the University of Cambridge, you can trust the quality of the course and the solid recognition given; because of its international value.
Requirements for the CELTA course
- Be 20 years or older
- Have a level of education equivalent to the baccalaureate
- Have a prior knowledge of the English language that allows you to teach in a range of levels.
- Have C1 certification (CAE, IELTS band 7 or equivalent)
- If you do not have any of the certifications mentioned above, ih can accept you if you prove that you have the level of knowledge of English required to have a successfully course performance.
CELTA is ideal for people who is working in Higher, Adult and Community Education anywhere in the world. CELTA forms the first stage of the Cambridge English Language Assessment DTE(E)LLS and ADTE (E)LLS programmes.
The DTE (E)LLS and ADTE (E)LLS qualifications meet the government’s teacher training requirements for people who want to work in this sector.
How CELTA is organized?
The typical time to take CELTA is four to five weeks as a full time course. In case of doing it in partial time it can take some months and in some cases more than a year. In the International House you can do the mixed course, it means that you can take part of this course online and another part face-to-face.
Five units of learning:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
You will be assessed throughout the course, with no final examination. An external assessor, appointed by Cambridge English Language Assessment, moderates each course. There are two components of assessment:
1) Teaching practice. You will teach for a total of 6 hours, working with classes at two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance at the end of the 6 hours.
2) Written assignments. You will complete four written assignments: one focusing on adult learning; one on the language system of English; one on language skills; and one on classroom teaching.
*To be awarded the certificate you must pass both components. There are three grades (Pass, Pass ‘B’ and Pass ‘A’).
Apply to celta?
CELTA courses are designed by individual centres, based on specifications produced by Cambridge English Language Assessment. They are available at over 286 approved centres in 54 countries, providing almost 900 CELTA courses every year. The CELTA course is offered in International House Mexico.
- 4-week full-time: an intensive option for people who want to complete course over a month
- 12-weeks: an extensive, part-time option for people who can only take the course on Saturdays
- Blended: 14-weeks online & 2-weeks intensively face to face. Ideal for people who cannot
- travel to the centre for longer periods of time and can work from a distance online.
The candidates will be examined:
- Written assignments
- Teaching practice (each assessed lesson is given a grade)
The CELTA certificate is awarded to candidates who satisfy all assessment criteria and complete all course requirements. These include:
- Attendance of 100% of the course.
- Completion of all teaching practice and observations of experienced teachers.
- Completion of all four assignments (three or more assessed as ‘Pass’).
- The grades of the certificate are Pass, Pass B (above standard teaching) or Pass A (exceptional language awareness, teaching and professionalism).
- Candidates who successfully complete the course, receive both the Cambridge CELTA certificate and a report/letter from the trainers at Ih Mexico. The letter describes the candidate’s performance in some detail and serves as a useful reference for employment.
For more information fill out the following form
Cities where you can take CELTA in Mexico
|CELTA Mexico City – Condesa|
|CELTA Cancun||CELTA Cuernavaca|
|CELTA Guadalajara||CELTA Playa del Carmen|