ICELT (In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching)
The In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching, known as ICELT, is a certification offered by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge. It focuses on familiarising English teachers who are currently teaching with the latest teaching techniques.
International House Mexico is one of the authorised providers for this course, having been recognized by Cambridge English Language Assessment as a highly reputable worldwide institution for teacher training. IH was a pioneers in the development of practical teacher training courses in the world.
Its courses are recognized for its efficient training leading to highly productive, and more creative professional teachers.
The course programs are designed satisfy the english teachers needs and working context. The course will encourage to develop skills in the following areas:
- Planning, teaching and evaluation
- Language awareness and language use in the classroom
- Assessment and evaluation.
- Unit 1 Language knowledge and awareness
- Unit 2 The background to teaching and learning English
- Unit 3 Resources and materials
- Unit 4 Planning and management of teaching and learning
- Unit 5 Evaluation, monitoring and assessment
- Unit 6 Professional development
- Unit 7 Language for teachers
ICELT is divided into Three Components.
1) Language for Teachers (Assessment component).
You will complete 4 language tasks designed to improve your use of English for teaching purposes and linguistic analysis.
2) Teaching (Assessment component).
You will plan, teach and evaluate four lessons, which are assessed by your course tutor.
3) Methodology (Assessment component).
You will complete four classroom-related written assignments on methodology.
Courses are moderated externally. Samples of coursework are submitted to Cambridge ESOL for further moderation at the end of the course.
A Cambridge qualification
Because it is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge, ICELT is internationally recognized, highly respected and a benchmark for quality. ICELT is one of the ELT qualifications recognized by CENEVAL in order to be granted the “Licenciatura en Enseñanza del Inglés”.
Component One: Language for Teachers
Candidates complete four tasks designed to improve their use of English for teaching purposes. Each task is between 750 – 1000 words.
Component Two: Teaching
Candidates are assessed on a minimum of four occasions.
Component Three: Methodology
Candidates complete four classroom-related written assignments of between 1000 – 1500 words.
The ICELT course will be moderated by an external moderator who will sample candidates’ teaching and written assignments. Samples of coursework will be submitted to Cambridge English Language Assessment for further moderation. Every candidate must submit a compete portfolio of work at the end of the course containing all work done during the course.
What grades are awarded?
Candidates are awarded an overall grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction as well as component grades of Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Candidates needs to Pass all written tasks and assignments, and three our of the four Practical Teaching Observations. Candidates can fail one Practical Observation, but this cannot be the last one (which is externally assessed by a Cambridge English Language Assessment moderator).
- At least two years of teaching experience (Ideally, you should have an initial teaching qualification).
- At least 18 years of age.
- CAE or IELTS band 6.5 – 7 Overall, (Minimum 7 in Writing).
- Sufficient Academic Writing skills.
How do I apply?
The ICELT course is offered in Mexico. Please complete the ONLINE APPLICATION